Re: [Evolution] MTA/MDA/Mail clients

(Sorry about the tardy reply)

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 05:33, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
tor, 15.01.2004 kl. 17.18 skrev pkm:

I do have one comment regarding the whole mail sending/retrieval
strategy. I don't understand why evolution (and many other mail clients)
try to take on the role of the MTA. fetchmail and many sendmail clones
have been around for quite some time, and work well when configured
properly.

There's no such thing as a Sendmail clone, luckily. There are several
MTA dropins that use a surrogate sendmail binary; I use Exim 4 and
Postfix 2, which can both be called as 'sendmail'. But both are utterly
different to configure and don't have many of Sendmail's disadvantages.

Regarding using "sendmail", I never meant that I wanted to use the crappy
old sendmail, I mean <quote>sendmail</quote>; whichever one you use (I use
esmtp).

 I am a little dissappointed that I can not have fetchmail run
when I press the 'Send/Receive' button, or have any control over the
options passed to sendmail.

Why use fetchmail at all? It's an MTA utility (a bit like an artificial
limb, actually), not an MUA utility and Evo doesn't need it...

One of my key goals for email management (and I don't think I'm in the
minority here) is to separate which app is doing what. I don't want to
depend on having an X display with evolution running in order to check my
email. I often ssh in and check my mbox's with mutt. I'd say this justifies
having fetchmail and whichever sendmail variant I use. It all has to do
with separating the mail reading/writing apps from the mail
getting/sending apps so that I can read/write email remotely.

 As to any
"options passed to sendmail", I fear you're getting things mixed up. Evo
uses smtp as originally defined in rfcs 821 and 822 - and since extended
and improved with myriads of other rfcs, to most of which Evo adheres
far better than do many other clients.

Which ones of the 'myriads' is it adhering to, and you're assuming too much
of my ISP.

Passing options to Sendmail has
nothing to do with smtp - why should everybody use Sendmail anyway? I
don't.

You can't tell me that there you never use command line options and actually
have a working *nix box. And I'm not telling everyone to use 'sendmail', it
sounds more like you're telling everyone to use evo.

smtp deals transparently with *every* rfc-compliant MTA.
And if my ISP's MTA isn't rcf-compliant (M$ Exchange)? What then?