[Evolution] Compiling Evolution / Syncing Palm Devices [again]

You suggested that I need the static version of libdb 3.1.17. Perhaps
you (or someone out there) can help me create this. Here is what I have
done so far:
1 - Downloaded db-3.1.17.tar.gz from
ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/source/evolution/. The md5sum of what I
downloaded is 5baeb94fb934d0bf783ea42117c400be. (I mention this to
completely specify exactly what I downloaded).

2 -  Un-tarred it, using  tar -xzvf db-3.1.17-2.tar.gz

3 - Moved to the build_unix directory: cd db-3.1.17/build_unix/

4 - Ran the configure command: ../dist/configure --prefix=/usr/local
As far as I can tell (not very far!) this worked OK.

5 - Executed make clean (to be sure I cleared out any stuff left over
from various failed attempts)
6 - Executed make, which seemed to work OK.
7 - As root, execute make install, which gave the output:
Installing DB include files: /usr/local/include ...
Installing DB library: /usr/local/lib ...
Installing DB utilities: /usr/local/bin ...
Installing documentation: /usr/local/docs ...
Again, this seems OK.

8 - Downloaded the evolution archive from the above location, un-bzipped
and un-tarred.
9 - Configure evolution, using the command
./configure --prefix=`glib-config --prefix` --with-pisock=/usr/local
--enable-pilot-conduits=yes --enable-pilotlinktest --enable-gtk-doc
--enable-openssl --with-db3=/usr/local --with-catgets

This step failed, with the error message:
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking db3 header version... 3.1.17
checking for db3 library name... configure: error: Could not find db3

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?
Steve (AKA "desperately seeking synchronization")

You need the static version of libdb 3.1.17  Mine is

In the evolutio README (look in the top of your evolution build
       * Berkeley's libdb 3.1.17

          It is important to use *exactly* this version, and not a
          later one, to compile Evolution.  Please check the "Building
          Berkeley DB" section below for more information.

Steven P. Auerbach <steven p auerbach saic com>