From: Dwight Tovey [mailto:dwight dtovey net]
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 11:07 AM
To: evolution lists ximian com
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Hundreds of alarms

Rodrigo Moya said:
On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 04:17, Dwight Tovey wrote:
On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 11:19, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

your problem is that there is no stored date for the last
notification,
so the alarm daemon thinks the last notification was in
1/1/1970,
so
it
shows you all alarms since then :-(

It should probably just use the current time as the last
notification date if that setting is not set.

Ok, that explains not only the many alarms that I got this
morning,
but also the long past-due alarms when I haven't logged in to this
system (my laptop) for a few days.  In some circumstances I can
understand wanting these past-due alarms, but frankly, in general
they are mostly just a nuisance.

well, they are if you use the calendar just once in a while. But if
you use it daily, as I do, they are really useful, like
reminding me
of events that happened when I was on holidays, for instance.

Great.  It works for you.  I'm happy for you.  For me though
I already get told enough by the rest of the staff if I miss
a meeting.  I don't really need my email program nagging me
also.  I want to be notified at the time of the meeting (or
appointement, or whatever), but I don't need it to tell me
that I missed yesterday's weekly status meeting.

  I still think that it would be better if it was
possible for the user to decide to only have alarms as they happen
and ignore anything overdue.

not sure if that would be a good solution.

Care to expand on why not?  What would it take to include a
configuration option so that the user can specify an age
limit for alarms?  Either make it a per-alarm setting
(trigger this notice within X minutes before the set time but
not more than Y minutes after) or a global setting (don't
trigger any alarms that are more than Z hours past their set
time).  Leave the past-due alarms perpetually enabled by
default (that way you don't change existing behavior), but
give the users the ability to disable old ones.

Just don't take the M$ mentality of saying "I do it this way
so everybody will do it this way".

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey