[Evolution] address autocomplete broken in my 1.4.5 build

Hey all,

I just compiled a fresh copy of evolution 1.4.5 on a
clean gentoo install. Everything works great, except
for the address autocomplete feature (i.e. in the To:
field, when I type in 'bo' it should offer me
bob spam net, bonita homegardenias com and so on) .

I don't feel like it's a setting issue, because if I
use the same version of evolution, with my same nfs
mounted home directory, on another, older gentoo
install, autocomplete works great.

I'm totally at a loss as to where to begin to solve
this problem.  I've posted a question to the gentoo
forums, but haven't gotten any response at all. Is
there a library that evolution depends on to do this
type of autocomplete that might not have been built? A
compile setting?

Any pointers anyone can provide would be really
gratefully received. Thanks.

-k

BTW, my apologies if this is a repeat post, but I
tried to post this a few days ago and don't see it in
the archives.