[Evolution] Backup and Restore

Hi,

Someone please point me in the right direction or post step-by-step instructions for backing up and restoring Evolution.

Following some of the posts on this list I did the following on MDK 9.1 to backup Evo 1.4.5:

        evolution --force-shutdown

        pruned all indexing files mbox.* in ~/evolution/local/(sub) folders

        In ~/evolution  tar czvf evolution.tar.gz evolution

this did create the archive and I moved it to a FAT partition on another hard drive

        copied ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/ to another hard drive

Restore to a fresh install of Evo 1.4.5, on a fresh install of MDK, before running it the first time

        Moved     evolution.tar.gz into ~/evolution from the other hard drive

        tar xzvf evolution.tar.gz

Nothing happened ? after trying it a couple of times it created ~/evolution/~/evolution or something like that

        Copied ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/ back

It turned out to be a big mess and even though I saw hundreds of files being archived, the archive file appears to be empty now. (46B) How and why did this happen?

Unfortunately, evolution was not backed up so I've lost over a year's worth of e-mails.

What is the correct procedure to backup and restore Evo?

Now would be a good time to practice backup, archive, and restore, since I'm starting over with very few e-mails.

TIA,

Celsun

High-speed users?be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1