Re: [Evolution] Palm sync problem solved

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 10:44 -0700, biodiesel brian wrote:
I was able to solve the problem with synchronizing I had with a
workaround.

I had bought a new notebook and moved my entire home directory to the
new machine, but I changed the name of the home directory.  Previously
it was /home/bri and the new was /home/brian.

Gnome or Evolution must be storing /home/bri somewhere and although most
of Evolution worked, the evo palm conduits did not.

My kludge was to make a symbolic link to /home/brian (ln -s /home/bri
/home/brian) and that was all it took.  As a bonus, contact lookups on
the TO: field started working again too in Evo.

I only discovered this by running gpilotd from the command line-- the
errors were not reported anywhere else, including the logfiles or the
palm sync log, which isn't an Evolution issue strictly speaking but
seems a bad oversight that ought to be corrected.

By the way, if anyone knows where the home directory info might be
stored I'd be grateful.

Most (all?) references to mail folders are stored using absolute rather
than relative paths, unfortunately. This at least applies to Filters and
vFolders, IIRC (see the xml files in your ~/evolution/ dir) and probably
to settings like autocompletion and default (Sent, Draft) folders.

The latter ones are stored using GConf, but re-setting them again any
accounts Settings should correct them.

FWIW: These issues are resolved in current development version 1.5.x,
which uses unique IDs and relative paths only.

Don't know anything regarding Palm sync, although the folders to sync
may be stored using absolute paths as well.

...guenther