Re: [Evolution] Selecting multiple messages buggy

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 15:43, Andrew Conkling wrote:

Well, what if I wanted to delete multiple threads in my Evolution
folder?  I'd select the first message of the first thread, use Shift to
select all through the last, use Ctrl to select the first message of the
message of the second thread.  That seems like it should be standard
behaviour to me at this point and most applications that I use that have
lists in them reflect this feature.

I believe that the behaviour you describe is standard on Windows. I have
no idea if it is standard on Mac OS. It is not standard in GNOME: you
can not select multiple groups as you describe in nautilus in "View as
list" mode or in evolution 1.4.6.

I must admit that I was surprised that it doesn't work as you expected,
but it is entirely possible that there may be very good reasons for
that. I know that a lot of work was done for GNOME 2.0 to make it highly
accessible to the disabled, and a lot of work was done by the usability
team. It could well be that the behaviour you expected would cause some
problem either with accessibility or with usability.

Can it be added?

I suspect that if it were to be added it would have to be added to GNOME
in general as opposed to just Evolution, as the Evolution developers are
trying very hard to make Evolution GNOME HIG-compliant so that it can be
included as part of the core desktop in GNOME 2.8.

I suspect that the behaviour you were expecting was considered and
rejected as opposed to overlooked, but that is just a suspicion. May be
you could try searching the archive of the GNOME usability list?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com          www.dzr-web.com