Re: [Evolution] Maildir responsible for "too many open files" error?

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 10:05 -0600, Phil Sackinger wrote:
I'm running Evo 1.4.5 and use Maildir format for both my inbox coming
from an IMAP server on a Solaris box and many local folders in my home
directory (sitting on an NFS server).

A long-time problem I've had is when Evo has run for a few days
typically it displays an error message about
too many open files (see attached). It's hard to get much done, fetching
new messages from my IMAP server gets caught.

Usually, I must close Evo and do a --force-shutdown, (aka killev) before
restarting and resuming work. [This is actually an improvement - under
Evo 1.2.* restarting wouldn't work, had to rm -r .gconf directories and
go through the whole setup wizard thing and endure hundreds of
suddenly-reborn calendar notification messages.]

Is Maildir inherently more susceptible to this problem? Would it go away
if I converted my Inbox and/or local folders to mbox (it seems like One
Big File like mbox would have fewer open files, at least)? Are there
other possible settings that could be responsible? (My shell ulimit
shows 1024 maximum open files possible.)?

Evo keeps cached copies of your emails.

Do you delete the mails off the IMAP server as fetch them?

Another thing is: how many emails do you have in Inbox?  I have a
Maildir folder with 5,900 emails in it, and Evo never squawks.

Moving emails to sub-folders would eliminate having to open all emails
at once.

--
Ron Johnson <ron l johnson cox net>