[Evolution] Signature-problem in Evolution 1.4.4. -> Crash

Hello,

After going through the archives and not finding a solution for my
problem, I have joined this list.

I ran Evolution 1.4.4. on Mandrake 9.1., with IceWM as window manager.
After running Thunderbird for e-mail for a few months (for testing) I came
back to Evolution. No apparent problems at first.

What goes wrong:

Whenever I want to create or modify a signature, the signature editting
window comes up and Evolution crashes. Luckily the architecture is well
done, I have not lost any mail or so. But I cannot fix the problem alone.

I looked in the archives and found a similar problem in July 2003, but
this person was running a Cooker version of Mandrake. His solution was to
install a special version of the Galaxy theme. I doubt that this would
help me, since I don't use Gnome or KDE (but I may be wrong).

What I have tried so far:

- Tried to use gconftool to determine something about the signatures. But
as I don't understand the exact function/benefit of gconftool, this ended
nowhere.

- Through Evolution I deleted all existing signature information and
removed all files from ~/evolution/signatures. That worked well. But
adding a new signature only results in another crash of Evo.

- I backup up my entire Evolution folder and renamed that to ~/evold.
Backup up the entire ~/.gconf/apps/evolution folder and renamed that to
~/.gconf/apps/evold.
Then I restarted Evolution to see what happened. Okay, all mail looked
gone as I expected. Strangely though, all the existing e-mail accounts
still were there. Trying to create a new signature ended in a crash again.

So I logged out, logged back in, renamed all directories back.

Then I downloaded Ximian's Red Carpet and let that check if there was an
update for Evo. But that said things were all up to date.

I then created a dummy user, logged in as that, ran Evo. And of course, no
problem in creating a signature there.

And that is where I am now. Still unable to create or modify signatures
under my own account.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

Regards,
Paul