Re: [Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] PIM application suite

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 16:31 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Why should the calendar program need to know how a contact record is
> > stored in the Contact DB?  It shouldn't, it calls the interface with the
> > contacts ID and it is returned the record in the agreed upon way based
> > on the programming interface Specs.  Some people call this "contract
> > programing" I believe.
> that is exactly what Evolution does. There is an API for accessing
> calendar, contacts, etc, and any app that wants to access them uses
> that. There's no need to have to know DB formats and stuff like that.

And multiple data providers already exists: the standard /home one, an
OpenGroupware connector, the commercial Exchange provider, and the
Groupwise connector.  These all can inter-operate seemlessly.

I suggest a little reading up on bonobo for anyone who this evolution is
a monolithic app,  or just run gshell and play around.

Uh, try looking at how the groupwise connector does stuff.  It isn't clean.  It isn't what you'd expect from well designed, componentised application.

Evolution currently is somehwere in between monolithic and componentised.  Some parts are well componentised, and others aren't so.  And at different levels (i.e. internally, externally, componentally).  Its probably better in 2.0 than it was in 1.4 (if only because of the clearer separation of wombat/eds).

Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>

Ximian Evolution and Free Software Developer

Novell, Inc.