[Evolution] using KDE, browser will not launch

I am using Evolution 1.4.5 on a Gentoo 2004.1 system using KDE 3.2.1.
Clicking on various items on the summary page does not launch a browser
as I expect it should.  Nothing happens at all, in fact.

I've spent some time searching google and browsing recent list archives
(could not find an archive search tool) for info.  I have found people
 with my basic problem, but none of the advice seems to help me.

What I have tried:
 1) various things in gnomecc
    a) Document Handlers -> Default Applications -> Web Browser set
       to Custom Web Browser with command
          /usr/bin/gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s"
    b) Document Handlers -> URL Handlers - add handlers for protocols
       http, https, and html to same command as in a) (I know html is
       not a protocol but I found advice suggesting adding this so I
       gave it a shot)
 2) trying to get debug information - ran evolution --debug=evolution.err
    which gave some useful dumps of imap transactions with my mail server
    but nothing relating to attempts to load URLs from the summary page.

Anyone know what I need to do or how to debug this?

Thanks,

joey