[Evolution] Newly installed 1.4.6 crashes during startup

For some reason this message did not show up in the list even though I sent it yesterday:

I just installed 1.4.6 using red-carpet on RH 8.0. Every time I try to run the new evolution, it crashes with the following output from the xterm:

(evolution:4710): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot create instance of abstract (non-instantiatable) type `GtkWidget'

(gnome_segv:4711): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "bluecurve",

(gnome_segv:4711): Gdk-WARNING **: The X server advertises that RENDER support is present,
but fails to supply the necessary pixmap support.  In
other words, it is buggy.

I submitted a bug report # 56839 but I wonder is there anything I can do to get it to work? Is there any way to come back to the old version? Evolution is my primary mailer...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Piotr Romanus
jromanus earthlink net