Re: [Evolution] header-only IMAP mails

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 11:27 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 10:24 +0800, Not Zed wrote:

> > In fact I'm running 1.4.6 from debian unstable at home, and 1.5.6 from
> > RH9 redcarpet at work, both connected to my home's Cyrus server and
> > work's Exchange server (I think) via IMAP, though my DSL line.
> > I have no problem with 1.4, but 1.5 is, well, full of interesting
> > surprises - not ready for serious IMAP users if you ask me.
>
> Where are the bug reports then?

This bug has always been present in Evo, and has been claimed fixed
various times (the last one was you, on 03/03/2004). In fact, I
submitted a short patch to the debian maintainer (shortens the max. IMAP
command length to 256 bytes) which workarounds it most of the times, so
the version I use at home is mostly OK.
Moreover, I have (perhaps wrongly) understood from your comments about
Evolution's IMAP code that it's in a not-so-good state and was scheduled
for a rewriting in the near future.

Oh, from what you said above, it read pretty clearly as "1.5.x is too busted to use properly".  And since we don't have many bugs against it, against 1.5.x, we'd need some to actually fix anything!

We don't have time to rewrite it either, but currently its more stable than its ever been, even if its as slow as its ever been.  Performance is the real problem with the current code which is so hard to fix, but on most servers we'll still need a slow 'synchronous' mode since very few servers implement enough of the imap spec properly to use all of it.

Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>

Ximian Evolution Software Developer

Novell, Inc.