[Evolution] SMTP problem

I am using Mandrake 10 with the 2.6.3-4 kernel with a wireless card and have not been able to send any messages.  I think the Evo version is 1.4.6.  I have double checked with my ISPs tech support that the smtp server name, my account name and password are all spelled correctly, as well as no SSL is checked.  I have my DSL modem in DMZ mode so smtp and pop ports are open.   I have checked the /etc/hosts for the infamous blank line(?) problem, and there is only one line in my hosts file and there are no blank lines above the one entry, which says something like 127.x.x.x   localhost.  What else should be in that file?  Could the entry here be incorrect?

Whenever I try to send, POP retrieves mail perfectly, but hangs on the send.  If I let it go to timeout I get an error message that says something like "I couldn't send", and I get the same message if I just cancel the send before it times out.  I have no problem getting to the internet, but just sending mail.  I have no other issue with Evo functionality at all.

Previously when using a wired ethernet card to my DSL modem I had no problem with the same account settings.

Could there be some gconf setting preventing me (evo) from using the port 25?

Suggestion for trouble shooting?

Thanks,
Robert