[Evolution] Launching browser from evo under gnome (Debian)

Hi everyone,
I am having trouble making evolution launch the correct browser. I read
the email yesterday from guenther about how to fix this problem and I
followed all the steps with no change, still galeon is launched instead
of firefox.
Now, I did some testing and it turns out that everything works fine when
I run evo from the command line, but if I start it from a gnome-shortcut
or the launch applications menu, it chooses the wrong browser! I guess
this might be a debian bug, but I thought I'd ask here first.

System information: I'm running debian unstable, pretty up-to-date (at
least once a month a dist-upgrade), evolution 1.4.6, gnome 2.2 and use
firefox as my browser.
This is what I checked
- $BROWSER is set to firefox
- in gnome-control-center I have set sensible-browser (debian script) as
a browser, which calls firefox
- checked through gconf-editor that the keys in
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown as well as
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http are set (to sensible-browser)
- checked ~/.gnome/Gnome and there default-show is set to
gnome-moz-remote which also calls firefox

Why would starting evo from gnome make any difference? I don't know
enough about gnome I guess but it does puzzle me. Any ideas?

Bye,
David