[Evolution] Slow/broken POP downloads

Hi,

I just tried adding a POP-account to Evolution (normally fetchmail
handles this, then evolution reads the mail from an IMAP server in my
LAN), and ran into some problems:

Though authentication runs flawless, actually downloading the mails from
my ISP's POP3-server proves difficult. Evolution succesfully detects the
number of mails to be downloaded, but stalls on the first one. That
first mail might eventually be downloaded, but then the process will
surely hang on the second one.

In short, downloading mails is very, VERY slow, having left Evolution
trying for half an hour I have to cancel the process.

Is this a known problem? Has it got anything to do with my settings? I
tried downloading my mail in KMail, works perfectly. My ISP's webmail
also proves my POP-account is in perfect shape.

Thanks,
Bart VH