Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 23:42:05 -0300
From: Andre Costa <acosta ar microlink com br>
To: Fedora ML <fedora-list redhat com>
Subject: Evolution refuses to work =(

Hi,

this is probably better suited for evolution ML (to which I have just
subscribed), but maybe someone here has already gone through the same
experience and will be able to shed some light:

I installed evolution on my Linux box so that my girlfriend could read
her email (I use Sylpheed myself, but I thought she would be pleased
with evolution's bells and whistles). However, it refuses to read her
emails, freezing for a while on the "send and receive email" dialog and
then showing me the "Erro while fetching Mail: Cannot get POP summary:
Operation now in progress" dialog.

If I telnet directly to her ISP's POP server port 110, all seems to be
fine (USER, PASS and LIST work). I captured traffic to her POP server
with ethereal, and it seems the last thing evolution sees is "CAPA"
command issued after she has authenticated (evolution tries another one
as soon as it connects -- i.e. before authentication -- but this one is
refused).

If I try the same sequence of commands with telnet, server indeed takes
a couple of seconds to retrieve capability list, and sometimes it indeed
drops connection (which means it's not evolution's problem after all).
It looks like her POP server is braindead.

So, to make a long story short: can I tell evolution not to try 'CAPA'
to workaround this issue?

TIA

Andre

--