Re: [Evolution] wrong smtp with no error?

Not necessarily.

The way electronic mail is delivered isn't much different to the way
physical mail is delivered.

i.e. it's just put in the letter box, and up to the post office to
determine if its valid and bounce an error, or just lose the mail or
whatever.

Where post office is === smtp service in this context.

Most smtp servers do little checking on the mail at receive time, it is
just put in a queue.  A send process retrieves messages from the queue
and processes them.  Various types of errors can have the mail waiting
around for days before you get a rejected message (and its
configurable) .