[Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Mailer and new-ui-branch

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 16:03, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
and a general outline of the implementation.  On the other hand, all we
got from you is random bitching on how much the idea sucks and random
claims that "it has to be pluggable".

What does "pluggable" mean in your world?

My proposal is "pluggable" too; if we put the command-lines for "check
for spam" and "learn that this is (not) spam" in GConf then it can be
trivially made to work with any system.  On the other hand, I don't know
what *you* mean with "pluggable" because you haven't explained it at
all.

Now that's what I'm talking about!  I suppose the only difference from
the "pipe to shell" option and the above is (as you have mentioned) the
UI and the return value.  I'm assuming that you will expect the program
named in Gconf to return a 0 on success and anything else on failure
(where success is defined as HAM and failure is SPAM) or at least be
able to Evo what the message received is.

The pipe to shell cannot handle return values, correct?  If it could
that would be awesome.

Should Evo fork a child process to run the 'spam check' commands so as
not to block the application.
Has anyone thought how much extra time per message it will take to spam
check incoming messages?  Obviously you wouldn't want to fork a new
child for *every* incoming message as the overhead of creating children
would be large.

I like the direction though.

--
Christopher Ness