Re: [Evolution] Character encoding in 1.4.x

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 15:51, Mike Gifford wrote:
Howdy Jeff,

[snip]

Thanks for this explanation.

When does the 7-bit/8-bit encoding come into effect?

the Content-Transfer-Encoding signifies the encoding that the message is
being sent in. From rfc2035, we have the definition of 7bit and 8bit:

2.7.  7bit Data

   "7bit data" refers to data that is all represented as relatively
   short lines with 998 octets or less between CRLF line separation
   sequences [RFC-821].  No octets with decimal values greater than 127
   are allowed and neither are NULs (octets with decimal value 0).  CR
   (decimal value 13) and LF (decimal value 10) octets only occur as
   part of CRLF line separation sequences.

2.8.  8bit Data

   "8bit data" refers to data that is all represented as relatively
   short lines with 998 octets or less between CRLF line separation
   sequences [RFC-821]), but octets with decimal values greater than 127
   may be used.  As with "7bit data" CR and LF octets only occur as part
   of CRLF line separation sequences and no NULs are allowed.

This suggests that your messages do contain iso-8859-7 characters, tho I
don't see any myself.

well, either that or else you are running a modified version of
Evolution where someone patched it to always send out iso-8859-7 encoded
messages or something. Are you running Ximian's evolution packages? or
someone elses?

Jeff