[Evolution] Debugging symbols by default?

I just rolled a very generic install of 1.4.4 and I noticed that CFLAGS
is set to "-g" in all makefiles by default.  The end result is close to
500 megs in the src dir w/ object files.

A quick:
find . -name "Makefile" -exec perl -pi~ -e 's/\ \-g//g' {} \;

...took care of that, though.  With objects the gets it down to about
130 meg and it seems to run a bit faster, but that may be my
imagination.

Just curious why the stable development branch would ship like that?

-lava