Re: [Evolution] browser - select different to handle links

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 11:26, guenther wrote:
Setting default browser (Evolution 1.4 / Gnome 2.x)

Open the "Gnome Control Center" > Preferred Applications > Web Browser
or simply run:
$ gnome-default-applications-properties
[ snip ]

How is this done in KDE? I've tried to adjust this via the KDE Control
Centre (file associations), but now when I click on a link, it doesn't
open any browser.

As Jeff said, Gnome apps only respect Gnome settings and don't even know
about KDE. Same vice versa.

Please, just run the mentioned command.

If you don't have Gnome installed sane enough to provide you with the
settings but only Evolution and the required dependencies (GConf is one
of them for Evo 1.4.x) here is the way to bypass the Gnome Control
Center and enter the required values manually.

Adjust the command and only use this, if the previously mentioned method
does not work (Evolution 1.4.x only).

...guenther

Setting default browser using *gconftool*

You will need GConf (and the gconf daemon running) to set this. If you
do *not* have the Gnome Control Center installed, there is a way to set
this using GConf directly:

See, which values are stored in that sub-tree. Save the output to a
file, so you can revert to those settings!

$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown
 command = mozilla %s
 need-terminal = false
 enabled = true

Now, this should enter all those values (at least, they work for me):

$ gconftool-2 --set --type=string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/command 'mozilla %s'
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/need-terminal false
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/enabled true

Guenther, Jeff et al.,

I had to adjust various paths, but I am now able to open links within
Evo. Many thanks for your help.

Des

--

Des Dougan