[Evolution] ESMTP Errors

i've searched around the Ximian site and Knowledge Base as well as doing
some Googling to see if i could turn up an answer to this question but
have been unable.

i've just recently switched to running Evolution and like it very much
but am having problems sending mail out through my EzMTS mail server
running on a Win2K box.  i never had any problems during my Windows days
using Outlook but Evolution is having problems.

i've X'ed out IPs/domains but an Ethereal packet sniff of the SMTP
session goes about like this.

220 XXXX.com MTSSmtp 1.55d7 ESMTP service ready
EHLO XXXX.XXXX.net
502 SMTP expecting HELO, try again
MAIL FROM:<XXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX com>
502 SMTP expecting HELO, try again
QUIT
221 XXXX.com SMTP service closing, thank you.

it seems as though my mail server is initially claiming to be ESMTP
capable and then balking at the ESMTP EHLO (HELO) greeting.  Certainly
fault lies with the mail server but i would think Evolution would step
down and use SMTP's HELO after receiving the 502 response.

anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, experiences with this or
something similar?

thanks in advance

--
 Don