[Evolution] SpamAssassin on RH9 causes POP retreival to hang

On RH9,  I have spamassassin-2.60-1 and evolution-1.4.5-0.ximian.5.1.

I have configured a filter:  /usr/bin/spamc -c > /tmp/greg_spamc.out

Evolution is configured to pull emails down via POP from my ISP. I have 400+ emails to pull down (thus the need for SA!). When I click Send/Receive, Evolution starts pulling down emails. I see spamassassin/spamd take CPU for each message, then a delay (I assume this is network activity) and it goes on to the next one.

After pulling down 12 emails (according to the progress window), Evolution simply hangs. I've let it sit there for 12 hours+, but nothing. Sometimes I can click Cancel and start again, but Evolution simply refetches the same first 12 emails and hangs again. The last two times, I've had to kill Evolution because it had stopped updating its UI and was unresponsive to anything.

I've even tried deleting emails via the web-interface my ISP has to my POP box, but again Evolution's mail retrieval "hangs" after 12 messages (and it appears it is 12 different emails...when I am able to cancel the retrieval, the 11 processed emails are in my Junk Mail folder).

Is this a known issue?  Any suggestions on how I can go on?

I'd be happy to help develop a repro, but I'm not sure what I can do to get evolution to give me more details on exactly what it thinks its doing. Is there a way to get "verbose" or "debug" output while its running?

Thanks in advance,
syb_fenton.