Re: [Evolution] OpenOffice (Ximian) lost link in KDE

I stand corrected on the html issue.  I was under the (false assumption) that because none of my html encoded messages went through, but my non-html ones did, that html just wasn't excepted.  My apologies.

The problem appears to be that Ximian Installed an OpenOffice linked with the "oo<appname>"  whereas what I had with OpenOffice previously was linked with a totally different name.  Thanks to Jeffrey Stedfast for pointing this out.

I know how to fix links in KDE already, however, I couldn't figure out what really opened the Ximian version, now I do.  The last time I upgraded OpenOffice, it broke things as well, but only by installing to a new directory and not updating the menus.  I did as you suggested and created symlinks to restore functionality, which is what I'll probably do here.

Oh and lastly, I sent this to this list because 1) I forgot which list I was emailing to, and 2) I thought there might be a quick way to look in Evolution to see how it was configured to open OO documents.

I will say, this list appears to be very responsive, thank you.
Asa Jay

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 12:41, guenther wrote:
> <rant>
> notice, this mail list apparently doesn't like HTML email sent to it,

Bullshit, it does.

<rant> WTF? Why do you send an useless image to a mailing list,
containing a stupid standard "disclaimer" (which is more a one-side NDA)
and therefore bloating this? As if this text wouldn't be stupid enough,
sent in bandwidth saving text format. </rant>

> As I go back and forth between XD2 and KDE (trying to see if I really
> like XD2), I recently found that my linkage to OpenOffice in KDE is now
> broken.
>
> If I open (for instance) a Word document attachment  from Evolution, it
> opens in Ximian OpenOffice.  However, if I try to open OpenOffice from
> my programs menu, it no longer opens anything.
>
> I had previously had OpenOffice installed.
>
> How do I find the linkage for Ximian OpenOffice, so that I might change
> my KDEN menu items to reflect the newer (better?) Ximian version?

As you have the Ximian OOo installed, it probably is in another
directory than the old version (just a guess, as I never installed the
Ximian version) -- and the old one is un-installed?

To fix KDE links, you have to deal with your KDE settings. Asking a KDE
mailing list would be the best bet.

However, check which binary the KDE link calls and make a symlink to the
actual OOo binary. This way you don't have to mess with KDE settings.

BTW: This mailing list is for discussions about Evolution. Questions
about XD2 (including OOo) are better asked on the Ximian Users mailing
list: