[Evolution] Printing problems: another mystery

All
I continue to be baffled and surprised by the fact that the standard
print dialog doesn't work. As I stated below, if I enter "lp.cups" in
the "custom" "location", printing works. But if the "location" is "lpr"
printing does not work. Here's why I'm baffled:
If I type
$ which lpr, I get the answer
/usr/bin/lpr
So lpr invokes /usr/bin/lpr.
Now I do
$ ls -l /usr/bin/lpr, and I get the answer
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Oct 13 11:10 /usr/bin/lpr ->
/etc/alternatives/print
So lpr is soft-linked to /etc/alternatives/print.
If I do
ls -l /etc/alternatives/print
I find that
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Nov  4 13:17
/etc/alternatives/print
-> /usr/bin/lpr.cups
So /etc/alternatives/print is soft-linked to /usr/bin/lpr.cups.

Thus, the command lpr should, indirectly, invoke lpr.cups. Now, I can
print a file using lpr.cups, from the command line in a terminal,so I
conclude there is nothing wrong with lpr.cups.  Why, then, doesn't
printing work?

Here's another oddity: if I use "location" = lpr.cups in the print
dialog, printing does not work, even though lpr.cups itself works just
fine!

Obviously, I'm missing something here, but I don't know what. Any
suggestions?

Steve

It turns out the appropriate print command is "lp.cups". If I choose
"custom" for "location" (in the print dialog), and then enter "lp.cups"
for the custom location, the email gets printed. Now, the next question
is how to have this happen automagically, without having to go through
editing the print dialog every time I want to print an email? I suppose
I could alias "lpr" to lp.cups, but I don't know what unintended
consequences this would have. Also, am I the only one with this problem?
--
Steven P. Auerbach            steven p auerbach saic com
SAIC, MS C/4                  858-826-6493 (office)