Re: [Evolution] Insert error

This seems to be a bug to me.

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
that error means that the composer cannot convert your text file from
your locale charset into UTF-8 as it contains invalid byte sequences.

probably means that the text file was not saved in the same charset that
you have setup your evolution to use.

A file of type iso-8859-1 can not contain invalid byte sequences as it
only consists of single bytes. My locale character set is iso-8859-1
and  my settings in evolution are iso-8859-1 as default character set.

When I tried to insert a file with the following content:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz
it works, but if I add a character from the upper code plane
(in this case 0xE5):
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyzå

I get the following error:
Error loading file '/home/orre/test1.txt':
Channel terminates in a partial character

This error message clearly shows that evolution is trying to
interpret a character with the highest bit set as a sequence.
If it would expect iso-8859-1 as the file format, it would not
expect a sequence of characters.

As I mentioned earlier, this is also the case if I'm pasting into
the buffer from e.g. emacs, then nothing is inserted if there are
any eight bit characters, but if I read the same file into e.g.
openoffice and copy/paste it from there it works.

        Best regards
        Roland