[Evolution] Evolution 1.3.92 on SuSE 8.2

I just tried Evolution 1.3.92 on SuSE 8.2, found some things I like and
found some problems.  The following message was posted to the suse-linux
mailing list (there had been a discussion earlier today about Evo
1.3.92)   I thought that this should also be posted to the Evo mailing
list so that others here and the Ximian developers would be aware of
some of the problems with Evo 1.3.92 and SuSE 8.2

There were some comments earlier today on the suse-linux list about the
upgrade to Evolution (1.3.92) that is available from usr-local-bin.
(BTW thanks James)

I could not resist after hearing about it, so I installed Evo 1.3.92 on
my copy of SuSE 8.2 and have quickly noticed the following:
- speed on my system (AMD 1800; KDE 3.1.2 and the latest QT fix) is very
similar to the Evo 1.2.4 that was replaced.  The new Evo may be a little
more responsive, but it is definitely not slower.

- fonts are MUCH CLEANER.

- the overall visual display is a little cleaner with many small
improvements.

- Calendar appears to be non-functioning.  This is a big downer.  When I
click on Summary my upcoming appointments are shown, but when I click on
Calendar (day, week or month) there is nothing shown.  Is something
missing in the usr-local-bin version?

- Contacts has an almost big improvement in the handling of web pages
and then a corresponding glitch.  Contacts used to merely record the web
pages but to go to a web page you would need to copy the web address to
your browser.  With Evo 1.3.92 there is a button next to the web address
in the contact editor that if clicked brings up Moz with the web page.
This is a nice feature, the problem is that none of the web pages that I
had recorded in Evo 1.2.4 have been saved to Evo 1.3.92. Further, if a
manually add a web address in the contact editor and then save and close
the new contact information the web is not saved in the contact editor.

- in Contact information I had extensively modified the Categories to be
able to sort my contacts on such things as
my contacts
my wife's contacts
company contacts
company shareholders
company suppliers
etc.
these categories are lost on the upgrade from 1.2.4

- the keyboard shortcut that I use the most in reading email is no
longer working.  The shortcut is that new mail is sorted as most recent
at the bottom and then when I read mail I can either type "]" which
keeps the email that was read and then brings up the next unread email
OR I would click "delete" and the read email was deleted and the next
unread email is viewed. For un-kept email the second option allowed me
to do 2 actions with 1 keystroke (delete and view next message). This no
longer works with 1.3.92.

Overall and visually I like where Evo is headed with the next upgrade.
On the practical side there are too many glitches for me to use 1.3.92
in a working environment.  This is after about one-half hour with the
new Evo.   Rather than tweaking and trying to fix I will be moving back
to Evo 1.2.4

YMMV

After this message is sent I will be reverting to 1.2.4  In a very short
period of time I have grown to like the improve fonts and visuals of
1.3.92, hopefully the glitches can be fixed with a minimum of fuss.

--
Ralph Sanford       -       If your government does not trust you,
rsanford telusplanet net   -   should you trust your government?

DH/DSS Key   -   0x7A1BEA01