Re: [Evolution] Advice needed for Exchange-like calendaring

What about SuSE server ?

Bryce Harrington wrote:
On Sat, 31 May 2003, Daryl Manning wrote:

Did anyone try jiCal for what this guy is trying ? It doesn't even
require you to use JBoss anymore, you can just set a cron job every
couple of minutes to go through the directories and pick up changed
information.

Actually we did take a look at JiCal, although we did not get to the
point of installing it.  It looks like it would be very good for the
Linux-side integration into the system, because it is able to take the
iCalendar files generated by evolution, et al and generate free/busy
files for them.  These could then be stuck onto the WebDAV freebusy
repository.  I'm going to put it to the test next week once we've got
the rest of the framework figured out.  I'll report my results.

Note that the free/busy information is very terse compared to a regular
calendar.  We have not yet figured out how to get outlook to emit its
complete calendar in iCalendar (or vCalendar) format, although I expect
there's a way...

By the way, yesterday we installed and tested out exchange4linux, a
GPL'd Exchange server replacement.  For the client-side you use a
(commercial, closed source) Outlook plugin.  The exchange4linux server
has a packaged demo version that works in a chroot environment that's
fairly simple to set up for evaluation.  We were able to get everything
installed and configured easily enough but afterwards Outlook would hang
big time.  We later figured out that Norton Antivirus may have been
getting in the road; we haven't re-tried it with NAV disabled but
probably will give it a shot next week.

We also began testing out SamsungContact, which promised all the
features we were looking for.  We were astounded by the many processes
it uses; it includes its own LDAP, Antivirus, and a lot more.  It seems
to work but we've only tested it on a single client so far.  We'll do
more thorough testing next week.  I don't know what the pricing is for
this; we've sent in a request for a quote.

Another program that we're going to evaluate is Crosswind's Synchronize,
which one of us had used at a previous place of employment.  We've sent
a request for an evaluation copy.  It's $100 per client.

Bryce