[Evolution] Clipboard problems

I was pretty bummed when this happend.. I started an email and realized I had replied to the wrong thread, and wanted to reply to a different one, so I cut (ctrl-x) my text that I had already typed so I could paste it into a different message. Unfortunately when I closed the message window it cleared the clipboard and lost my cut text!! Why would it do that? that kind of defeats the purpose of having a clipboard, doesn't it???