Re: [Evolution] import kmail directory structure

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 02:36, Martin Probst wrote:
hi list,

I'm new on this list, so I don't know what portion of my Question has
already been discussed here.

I have been using kmail for some years now and intend to switch/migrate to
evolution. But only if I can import/migrate my kmail directory-structure
and mail-messages (not necessarily the filters). I simply can't afford to
import thousands of mails by hand.

When starting evolution for the first time I saw an entry representing my
~/Mail directory with only those folders included that contain subfolders,
but I didn't see any mail-message.

Is there any import-utility or howto around to solve this task ?

Well, I looked at the KMail web site, seems they use Maildir/mbox. Both
directly supported by Evolution.
IMHO, you want to keep those mail for history reasons and be sure to
easily convert back, for what ever reasons.
Import mbox files under "special named" folders in evolution, if you use
mbox with KMail. If you use maildir create another mail account and use
local maildir for it, just point it to the maildir from KMail.  Now you
should be able to see and work with all your "old" mail.  If you use
maildir you should even be able to use KMail and Evolution, just be sure
not to use them at the same time on the same email.
Hope this helps,
Ronald

Thanks in advance