Re: [Evolution] show pictures as default

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 18:58, Russell Fulton wrote:

As a matter of interest would someone from Ximian care to list what
types of attachment "auto display" works for.

In theory, one can suggest automatic display of attachment for anything.
Whether it will do anything depends on the sender's and recipient's MIME
settings.  It's not anything that's hard-coded into the application, as
I understand it.  Evolution won't display things inline unless there's a
usable bonobo component, and I think we've made a point of preventing it
from using some of the more broken bonobo components (e.g. the ggv
component).  I'm not sure off the top of my head whether our change in
that regard was a change to the application or to the MIME settings we
ship.  I'm pretty sure we only allow inline display of text, email sent
as attachments, and common image file types.

FWIW, various image types current get thumbnailed automatically, so
there's some handling of attached images already.  An exploit based on
buffer overflows in e.g. libpng that would then hijack the client would
presumably be rather difficult.  A worm would be even more difficult,
given the relatively small number of Evolution users.  An exploit also
might not work on different builds of Evolution beyond the one
specifically targeted.

-Mark Gordon