Re: [Evolution] 1.3.3 - Override server-supplied folder namespace

If my aging memory serves me correctly, the issue had something to do
with correctly dealing with some people having a folder called Inbox
(not the IMAP INBOX) in the namespace folder, so not showing the
namespace folder caused client/UI/server/user confusion.

Yeah. Exposition for the benefit of the mailing list archive follows...

Assuming you have folders named INBOX, mail/Drafts, mail/Sent, and
mail/Trash, using "mail" as your namespace, the old Evo 1.0.x way would
be to display that as:

  + My IMAP Account
    - Drafts
    - INBOX
    - Sent
    - Trash

But then what happens if you try to create a subfolder of INBOX? The UI
would lead you to believe you could have:

  + My IMAP Account
    - Drafts
    + INBOX
      - subfolder
    - Sent
    - Trash

But to create that on the server, we need to create
mail/INBOX/subfolder, which first requires a fake mail/INBOX folder,
which is messy and inelgant, and carries a lot of potential for making
the user think that all of his mail has been deleted. (Especially in Evo
1.0.x, which also had a bug that in this case it would display the fake
INBOX and NOT display the real one.)

A similar problem happens for people with Cyrus or Courier imapd, where
the namespace is "INBOX.". If "INBOX.foo" is displayed as  a sibling of
INBOX, then how do you create a subfolder of INBOX?

-- Dan