[Evolution] Won't delete mail from server

Greetings.

I recently upgraded to Evolution 1.2 and copied my
/evolution folder from a previous install (when I
upgraded from RH8 to RH9).

I had some immediate problems with the program
complaining about folders not having the right
permissions for locking so I executed "chmod 644" on
the "mbox," folder-metadata... and local-... files in
all of the mailbox folders.  This cured the problem of
the inability of evolution to put locks on the
folders, but now even though under
Tools>settings>receiving... when the box "Leave mail
on Server" is UNCHECKED (meaning to delete the mail on
the server," the program leaves it on the server and
downloads it each time.

Help!
Thanks in advance!

RMK