[Evolution] Evolution takes ages to start up

Hi folks

I am trying to make a real effort to use Linux on my pc instead of the
other OS and I am hoping that Evolution can be a part of my move.

So far it looks great (I had used Outlook before and like the similar
format and integration of my bits of info) but... Evolution takes a
very, very long time to startup and I would like to fix this little
feature.

When I start Evolution I get a splash screen which is greyed out (like a
menue choice that is not available to me) which stays put for a very
long time (in excess of 3 MINUTES!). Then icons on the bottom of the
splash start rapidly popping up as the program is started and then I
seem to be able to use it with little problem.

Can anyone come up with a reason why it takes so long to get started? I
hope so because I would really like to make good use of this potentially
great program.

I am running:
AMD 1600 XP+
512M Ram
40 Gig 7200rpm Seagate HD
Mandrake 9.0 / Windowmaker

Evolution 1.2.4 installed with Red Carpet

Many thanks for your help.

Paul