Re: [Evolution] Send Later icon and copying text from an email

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 15:45, pat wrote:
1) When writing an email is there a way of replacing or inserting a send
later icon in the top icon bar and not having to click File    Send
Later.

I do not have sendmail installed.

I only have a dialup line for accessing emails - if I'm online and
compose an email them click the send icon the email is sent. So that
works fine, but I write the vast majority of emails off line as I think
the vast majority of individuals do.

2) When reading an email and I highlight a certain part of it there is
no copy option to copy the selected text and also to create a new email
and paste that text into it. My program is setup for preview mode and I
press enter to read emails.

I am using Evolution 1.0.8 and love it, the contacts part is really great
- for the first time I understand what contacts are all about.

Thanks in advance
Pat Hannon

Pat,
I'm not an Evolution expert, so I can't answer your question directly.
I am curious why you don't want to use sendmail, or any one of the
handful of the programs designed to replace it.

In your situation, I would set up your system like this:
1. Install sendmail and its configuration (they come separately in most
distributions I've seen).

Configure sendmail to send all outbound mail to your ISP's SMTP server
(this is called "smart host" in the configuration).  Disable automatic
sending by setting the queue time to sero.

2. Install fetchmail, and configure it to fetch all your mail whenever
it is run.

3. Configure your dialer to run "sendmail -q" and "fetchmail" after
connecting.

4. Configure Evolution to use sendmail and the UNIX spool for sending
and receiving.

This way, you dial out whenever you need to.  Sendmail and fetchmail
will take care of things, in the background, just once.  This way, you
don't have to worry about sendmail keeping your dialup connection open;
your dialer will time out when you quick browsing.

-David Johnston