Re: [Evolution] system upgrade wierdness (lost settings)

getting a little OT for this list, but might be interesting...

Thanks Marc, I simply (and obvious false) assumed, all Evo settings are
stored locally and just for Evo.

Let me get that straight: That means, my choosen languages are stored
for all Gnome apps using gnome-spell? i.e. when I change languages in an
editor, I change settings for Evo too?

Well, there isn't much that uses gnome-spell besides Evolution.  I can't
think of another application off the top of my head.

Uh, not? Sorry, I just simply assumed, gnome-spell would be the standard
component for all Gnome apps to spell check. What do those other apps
use, then?

To me that is really bad. That would mean, I can't have different
settings in different apps when they share that component. Or am I wrong
here?

I think you're correct.  Perhaps it would be reasonable to have a
centralized list of languages you use for spell checking.  FWIW, I'm in
agreement with those who would like to restore the ability to switch
languages in the composer.

Just for the record: I too think, it is a good thing (TM), although I
don't switch for laziness reasons. ;-)

My last info was, Anna is working on that to come back in a even more
reasonable way.

btw: That gets me to a more general topic, GConf. One particular thing I
loved about linux was those easy-to-edit text configuration files.
Stuffing all into one (let me call it) "Registry" is so Windows(R)
like... :-/

It has its advantages (Performance? Simplicity from the standpoint of
the developer? Not sure, I've mostly avoided the flame wars where it's
been discussed) and its disadvantages (needing specialized tools rather
than text editors).

I don't wanna start a flame war, really. I just follow it with mingled
feelings...

I like to tweak and optimize things, that are more under the hood and
not visible to the user. Having a GUI for that is good -- but having no
choice besides the GUI is not the traditional UNIX/Linux way.

And I see the advantages and disadvantages...

I'm afraid, I will loose most of my settings when installing a new
system with the next Gnome versions...

I have a tendency to tar up ~ in its entirety.  Apps should (should:
ought to, but not necessarily will) be able to migrate settings from
older versions.

LOL -- yep, so do I. But as I wanna get rid of old, obsolete settings
(remember, just upgraded the Gnome version) I only pull in the settings
I need and letting unneeded/unwanted settings rotting in the tar file...

FWIW: I think I can deal with a centralized configuration. At least it
is done by hackers, that sure wanna even more control than I want. And i
doubt, we will end up with such a mess like the MS registry...
(For those who don't know: MS registry is more like a one-way. Deleting
keys only deletes the keys and doesn't shrink the 'database'...)

I appreciate all info that point me to some interesting stuff to read
about that. If anyone can provide me with that besides the source
code...

Thanks again Marc for explaining...

...guenther