Re: [Evolution] Just downgraded from Evo 1.2.1 to 1.2.3

søn, 2003-03-23 kl. 05:24 skrev hogarth:

Mainly because I've lost the Composer spelling checker functionality I
had with 1.2.1. "Ximian giveth, Ximian taketh away, .. . etc." Then
again there was the allusion (by C.T.) that maybe if I "upgraded" from
1.2.1 I just might gain extra ldap functionality. No way, it's still
useless for any org., no SSL or TLS or SASL at all - I suppose at least
it's not worse. Otherwise, I can see no difference in functionality.
It's no faster, offline IMAP folders still don't work. Things that
worked before (apart from my 100% necessary spelling checker
functionality) mostly work, those that didn't still don't. Waste of
download and install time. Unless you count the e-mail security bug.

I too lost spell checker. I'm on RH 8.0, and I recently did an
"up2date" with the RHN to bring my system up to latest patch levels.
Then I ran red-carpet to bring Evolution up to latest patch levels.
Red-carpet complained that aspell or pspell (don't remember which) was
at a higher rev. level than it wanted. It suggested that I not change
the spell checker with red-carpet, so I didn't. When it took me from
1.2.2 to 1.2.3, I lost some, but not all, of my spell check function.
It's like the spell checker just got dumber, and I'm back to looking
up some words in a paper dictionary. Very strange.

I've deliberately kept with RH 7.2 - so all the aspell/ispell, pspell
and gnome-spell spelling functionality stays the same. Thank goodness.

It's not that I don't have the spell checker, it's just that I have 4
different languages to check in as well as US and GB English. 1.2.1 let
me select at compose time, 1.2.3 doesn't. If I add words, I add them to
all custom dictionaries at once, which is on the way to being useless.
If I type in a Norwegian word in a Dutch message, it gets accepted.

I just typed in "te" instead of "the" and the spelling checker accepted
it, since it's the Dutch infinitive mark. Useless.

And what's the point of having different US and GB English checkers, if
it will accept both in the same message?

That's what kept me from updating to 1.2.2 - I thought it would have
been fixed in 1.2.3. Reverting to 1.2.1 is not an option, because of the
security warning.

On the other hand, the upgraded (?) spell checkers also took out Pan,
my news reader. It won't even start anymore. I'm hoping that when I
get the time to roll the spell checker upgrades back out that things
will get back to normal, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Things
seldom seem to work that way in software.

As far as Pan goes, I upgraded by chucking out the original rpm and
compiling my own 0.11.4 from the srpm. The compile is relatively easy,
but with RH 7.2/Gnome 1.4 I can't do any more Pan updates without
updating libraries and breaking other things.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw