Re: [Evolution] help with IMAP

Thanks for the info on getting debug output.  Although the debug output
contains a lot of disconcerting error messages, it was actually helpful
in finding out why Evolution seemed to hang when I tried to read my mail
with IMAP.  Evolution was, indeed, listing the contents of my entire
home directory and sending that to the IMAP server.  And because I have
a lot of files and symbolic links to other large directory trees, it
was taking a long time and appeared to be hung.

Why does Evolution send the names of my files to the IMAP server?  Wouldn't it make more sense to just ask the IMAP server for all my mail? I guess I need to learn more about the IMAP protocol.

Anyway, I fixed the mail problem by following your suggestion and specifying the namespace "mail/".  I also tried "mail" (with no trailing
slash) and that did not work.  Only "mail/" works.  Care to explain why?
Could Evolution be made a little more intelligent in this regard?  I would never have figured this out without your help.

I get lots of error messages in the debug output from "evolution-mail".
For example, at the beginning of a sessions I get about 50 messages
like this:

Bonobo-WARNING **: Serious exception on node_set '$invalid path to XML user interface element' of '0' to '/commands/MessageForward#sensitive'

and whenever I change folders I get these messages:

set_prop path: /commands/Messages

Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-ui-component.c: line 879 (impl_xml_rm): assertion `container != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL' failed.

Not that I expect you to fix this, but I hope it's nothing serious.

Thanks again for your help.  Now I'm going to try to add spamassassin to my mail flow.

Jack V.

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 02:25, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 02:02, Jack Veenstra wrote:
> I'm a reasonbly experienced programmer and I've read all the FAQs and
> information I could find on the Web, but I can't get Evolution to work
> with IMAP.
>
> I can access my mail using IMAP with "pine" (a mail reader from the
> University of Washington).  The "fetchmail" command also works with
> IMAP.  But I can't get Evolution to work.  I specified the server
> (po.sandcraft.com) and my user name (veenstra) and when it asks for
> my password, I type that in.  But Evolution does not read the mail.

Does it even show you the mail folders?

In a separate shell, run:
	CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 evolution-mail

Then start Evolution as normal. You'll be able to see everything that
Evo says to the IMAP server.

Check your configurations setting -- ensure your namespace is correct
(you probably want to set it to 'mail/'). I suspect Evo could be happily
listing the contents of your entire home directory through the IMAP
server. Did you have it set to show all folders and to check for mail in
all folders?