[Evolution] Ximian Pilot Packages Necessary?

In researching whether it's possible to sync up a Palm Tungsten T with
Linux, I've discovered that it appears that I'd need a newer version of
Gnome-Pilot than is installed through Red-Carpet.

My question is, can I remove the Ximian Pilot packages to install newer
versions of pilot-link and gpilotd and still have the software connect
to Evolution?  Or are the Ximian-ized packages required to make the
connectivity with Evolution work?

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford