RE: [Evolution] Evolutiuon 1.4 unusable :(

Also, I am not sure you noticed, but Evo 1.4.1 is taking just as long to be
released as any proprietary (namely M$) "patch".

Just to clarify: Evolution takes a longer time to release than other
free software applications because we don't just make a tarball; we make
a tarball, then we build packages for a certain number of platforms, and
also QA them all.

If any of these processes fail for whatever reason then we have to go
back and fix it, and sometimes it can take a while.  But on the other
hand, you get binaries for various popular distributions and a tested
release.

If you want to build Evolution yourself with the latest fixes and
without the additional testing, you can download the code from GNOME
CVS.  Or you can take the latest Evolution tarball and apply the
relevant patches after they are discussed on the evolution-patches
list.  There is nothing to prevent you from doing that; however if you
want to have the finished package for all the platforms, then you might
have to wait a little longer.

I understand that it's frustrating when it takes a while to have an
important bug fixed, but please keep in mind that there is a lot of
non-trivial work that happens behind the scenes.

-- Ettore