From: Ettore Perazzoli [mailto:ettore ximian com]
Sent: June 24, 2003 2:05 PM
To: Not Zed
Cc: Cabral, Carlson; 'Norman P. B. Joseph'; evolution lists ximian com
Subject: RE: [Evolution] "Message Display" now constant across folders?

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 01:17, Not Zed wrote:
There were a lot more changes than ui ones/gnome2 porting, its pretty
hard to see the release notes properly on ximian.com, but there were
hundreds of bugs closed and plenty of bugs fixed that didn't have bug
entries for them.  For example the pop problem - which is clearly a
server bug - came about because of changes to fix a specific and real
implementation error (like forgetting to implement an rfc MUST
clause). Our beta testing didn't reveal it to be as big an issue as it
turned out to be.

Yeah, also part of the problem is that not as many people have been testing
the Evolution betas before 1.4 as they did with 1.0 and 1.2 -- so some of
the changes didn't get as much exposure as they should have.

If the problem had been reported in any of the various 1.3.x releases, we
would have fixed it (i.e. worked around it :-)) by now...

How can that be?? How can a team of developers of such competence as
the one at Ximian screw up a release so badly that most nice
characteristics of Evo got so mangled up it is now almost impossible
to use it? Well, I actually

Apart from your pop problem, which is obviously real, this is a bit of
over the top, dont you think?  A couple of other painful bugs crept in
at the last minute, which was pretty poor work on our (my at least)
part, but overall the app is more consistent and at least as stable as
its ever been.

Judging from Bugzilla this is actually a very stable Evolution release.

-- Ettore