[Evolution] Evolution 1.4.0 *very* slow

My setup: RH9.0 latest updates.  My POP3/SMPT server is Lotus Domino
version 5.0.13 running on WinNT 4.0, service pack 6a.

My Lotus Notes email database has roughly 5600 email, which I choose to
not delete from the server.  I previously was using Evolution 1.0.8 on
RH8.0 and was able to retrieve my email very quickly (after the initial
download).

Now that I've upgraded to Evo 1.4.0 and RH9.0, it takes several *hours*
to fetch the email (after the initial fetch).  I have another Lotus
Notes email database from which I am able to fetch, but on that one I
choose to delete the email from the server.  Nothing has changed on the
Lotus Domino server side.

Any idea on what I can do to speed things up?