Re: [Evolution] Delete messages on server when deleted locally

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 16:47, Bill Yohman wrote:
At 12:24 AM 6/3/2003 +0200, guenther wrote:

POP3 is not designed for that, and every mailer I used with similar
functions did not delete those messages (Eudora, Netscape).

I'm surprised when I hear that POP3 is not "designed" for something. This
really has nothing to do with POP3. POP3 has two methods built-in:
leave on
server and delete from server.

Sorry, that was my definition of being "designed" for some purpose.

I'm not going to jump into the discussion about the merits of POP3 vs
IMAP, but every now and then there have been some lengthy, heated
discussions on this very subject.  The message archives will give you
plenty of information.  I think the last big debate happened maybe a
year ago?

The impression I have is that the developers are not very interested in
implementing this capability for POP3 servers, because as Guenther
pointed out this functionality is a hack that POP3 was not meant to
support.  The fact that some e-mail clients do support this doesn't
change the fact that it's a hack.  I don't know if they plan on
attempting to incorporate this hack or not--the primary Evo e-mail
developers don't read this list anymore AFAIK.

Dan