Re: [Evolution] Help! No email folders available!

From: Not Zed <notzed ximian com>
To: Grant Rutherford <grantrutherford hotmail com>
CC: evolution ximian com
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Help! No email folders available!
Date: 22 Jul 2003 12:09:01 +0930

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 06:39, Grant Rutherford wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I had a problem with evolution following a power outage last week. Thanks > to everyone for their help so far. I have a little more information about
> the problem now.
>
> I can send/receive messages, but only in the time between starting evolution > and the first time I attempt to open a folder. When I open evolution and
> click send/receive right away, it displays the messages downloading, and
> updates the number of messages in each folder. However, once I click on a
> folder in an attempt to open it, the send/receive doesn't work anymore.

This sounds like the mailer is crashing.

> Just in case anyone missed my email last week, following a power outage
> (which rebooted my computer and the local server) I have been unable to
> access my mail folders in evolution. When opened in a new window they only
> write (No Folder Displayed) on a gray background.  The non-mail folders
> (contacts, calendar, tasks) work fine.
>
> Does this information help anyone?

Not a lot :-/

I have a suggestion though ...

try the following commands in a terminal, after quitting evolution:

cd
evolution --force-shutdown

There was an error with this command:

Error on option --force-shutdown: unknown option.
Run 'evolution --help' to see a full list of available command line options.

gconftool-2 --shutdown
mv .gconf/apps/evolution/mail .gconf/apps/evolution/mail.save

This folder doesn't exist on my apps directory (/evolution). Will I have to get root access to do this?

gconftool-2 --spawn
evolution

It will ask you to setup an account from scratch again, which you will
have to re-enter.

If things still don't work right, and you had any errors from the above
commands other than the shutdown ones, paste them here.

NOTE!  This will effectively 'remove' or 'reset' all of your accounts,
so you will be reprompted to set up a new one.  They are backed up in
mail.save if you need to return to them, basically repeat the above
commands but reverse the mv command after removing the existing mail
directory first.