Re: [Evolution] ~/.signature

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 05:13, Not Zed wrote:
On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 17:37, mail_acct wrote:
On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 03:05, Not Zed wrote:
actually i should quality that, the current version doesn't.

but you didn't specify which version you tried.

Sorry - I saw your first post first.  According to rc I'm using the
latest (r1.4.3).

If I link ~/.sig* to something, edit sig under Tools:Settings it removes
the link.  I found an Evo dir for the other sigs but my default acct's
sig is not there.

How did you edit it?

Using Evo 1.4.3 "Tools/Settings" and the "Composer Preferences" there's
a "Signatures" tab.  On this panel there's an "Edit" button.  If I use
"Edit", change the sig in what looks like a new email except it's just
the sig, the changes I make there show up in ~/.signature when I more
it.  Were ~/.sig* a link, Evo would have removed the link.  If it wasn't
a link Evo just updates ~/.sig*.

The situation is this - now that I know Evo uses _my_ file for its sig I
can deal with it.  But my Pine script (obviously) now will not work
since it's expecting links.  Or if I use rmail/Gnus I'll be getting an
non-rmail/Gnus sig.  Can I now go back and make changes to everything
else to satisfy Evo?  Sure, but it's just irritating when apps
commandeer user files that don't belong to them.

If commandeering ~/.sig is old behavior, I don't know anything about
that.  I'm just reporting what I (continue to) see w/r1.4.3.  If there's
some evo/ file you want me to check I'm happy to.  I grep'd -r evo/ and
find no reference to ".sig".  If there's somewhere else I should be
checking then you'd need to let me know because I have no idea where it
would be.

I added a signature just then and it goes nowhere near ~/.signature.

Granted this isn't how it happened w/r1.2(?) but the idea's the same -
Evo uses ~/.sig*...

I did a grep on the code and '.signature' exists nowhere inside
evolution's source tree.

AFAIK grep won't catch "." w/o escaping (although I'm betting you know
that)...

Mike

--

mail_acct earthlink net