[Evolution] Re: Calendar file messed up

Re: Calendar file messed up.

Message: 14
From: "Steven P. Auerbach" steven p auerbach saic com

Somehow my calendar has hundreds of appointments on Dec. 31, 2027,
probably from some synchronization which went bad. I believe this has
caused all kinds of grief (for example, the "find" function on my Visor
Prism crashes, with an error in TextMgr.c; also, the calendar component
of Evo has crashed.)

There are way too many entries to remove by hand, on my Visor, so I
would like to edit some file to remove them. I found the offending
entries in ~/evolution/local/Calendar/calendar.ics, and removed them
(being careful to start at BEGIN:VEVENT, and end at END:VEVENT). But
these events seem to be immortal: when I restarted Evo, the old
calendar.ics file had been recreated, with the offending events still
there.

Problem solved, thanks to Dan Winship and Edgardo Garcia Hoeffler. I ran
killev after exiting Evo (I'm still running Evo 1.2.2), then edited the
file calendar.ics. Had to use an Emacs macro to delete the hundreds
(literally) of events which had been moved to Dec. 31, 2027. Then I
started Evo up again, and voila, no more appointments on Dec. 31 2027.
Then I synced the Visor, with the conduit set to "copy to pilot", so the
correct calendar in Evo overwrote the messed-up calendar on the Palm.

Apparently there is a known issue in the Palm OS which leads to
appointments being moved to 2027 - here is a quote from a message to me
from support support handspring com:

You have specifically stated that appointments have moved to a date in
year 2027, after synchronizing with the Palm Desktop (where the data is
stored rightly).
This error situation is under investigation; it seems to happen on any
model of Visor (or any Palm OS handheld for that matter) and is often
associated with the presence of advanced third party software installed
on the handheld.

Steve

--
Steven P. Auerbach            steven p auerbach saic com
SAIC, MS C/4                  858-826-6493 (office)