Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.0 UI proposal

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 20:21, Brett Johnson wrote:
Anna, thanks for taking the time to reply.

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 15:52, Anna Marie Dirks wrote:
[snip]
Integrating the search bar would force the app to be prohibitively wide.
(For example, if I want to make the Evolution window the minimum width
such that all toolbar buttons in the Mail component are showing, then
the window needs to be about ~750 pixels wide, assuming that I use a
10pt font) If we want the app to be semi-usable on smaller screens, then
we do not have the space to add the searchbar to the toolbar.

Well, if evolution would simply honor the gconf/gnome "toolbar_style"
preference setting, the user could turn off the (again, annoyingly
redundant IMO) text next to the toolbar icons, the entire toolbar
(including the search widget) could be visible on a 640x480 screen, and
this would no longer be a problem.  But I'll grant you that the search
widget doesn't really belong in the toolbar for consistency reasons
anyway, so it should probably simply be embedded in the
tab/button/whatever views in some consistent place (just like it
currently is in evolution 1.4).

I presume that if this doesn't work, then it would be a bonobo-ui bug
since we use bonobo-ui to manage our toolbar? *shrug* maybe we have to
manually do stuff like listening to that gconf key and updating our
toolbar ui but that seems lame. I suspect bonoboui is supposed to handle
all that for us.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast