[Evolution] Re: Reply

Dan Jones wrote:

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 11:39, guenther wrote:
[Sorry for sending this to Guenther directly - shouldn't just hitting
Reply cause a message to be sent to the list?]
Nope. ;-)
Actually, that's a matter of debate.  I happen to think it should - but
I think it should happen (and be configurable) at the MUA, not by
munging the reply-to headers. I filter my email by mailing lists.  I
should be able to tell my MUA that a particular folder is a mailing list
- by default, replies to messages in that folder should go to a list.

Unfortunately, Evolution doesn't seem to support any such capabilities.
Well, if "Reply to List" would be the default "Reply" action, then there
has to be another action for "No, I really want to reply to the Sender
personal"... ;-)

I agree, that this can be discussed and there are a lot of opinions. But
personal replies have to be easy even for mailing lists.

You could simply have a "Reply to Sender."  However, the easiest way to
implement it would be to remap "Control*r" to "Reply to List" for
designated folders.  On the rare occasion you want to reply to an
individual, you click the Reply button on the menu bar, use the Action
menu or right-click the message and choose "Reply," just as you
currently do to get to "Reply to List."

Progmatically, adding custom key bindings for each folder should be
relatively straight forward.  Hmm, maybe I should grab the source
code...

"Reply" replies to the Reply-To: header if set, otherwise uses the
normal From: header.
"Reply To List" examines the List-*: headers and replies to the list.
Even more unfortunately, in my opinion, there is no hot key for "Reply
to List."  If anyone knows how to map, say, CONTROL-L to "Reply to List"
I'd be extremely grateful.
For Evolution *1.4* that is: edit (as root) the file
/usr/share/evolution/1.4/ui/evolution-mail-message.xml

and set the empty accel value for MessageReplyList:
<cmd name="MessageReplyList"
 _tip="Compose a reply to the mailing list of the selected message"
 accel="*Control*l"/>

Most of the wished-for behavior is implemented in kmail. It supports designating folders as mailing lists and has a keybinding for "reply to list" (L). For lists that do default to "Reply to List", kmail offers the easy option for private replies to sender. Just right-click on the sender's address in the header, and select "reply to..." from the pop up menu. Another reply feature supported by kmail, and absent from Evolution is the ability to highlight the test you want to quote before replying. Beats editing when the entire message is always quoted.

I'm trying to remember why I switched...
Oh, that's right, I rarely use KDE anymore. ;-)

Seriously, though, I am on a low powered machine, and am tired of all of the processes that Evolution spawns. When fetching mail, and using a spamassassin filter, Evolution/Spamassassin bring my system to a crawl. I am in the process of checking out Mozilla mail since I usually have the Mozilla browser up anyway.

It's amazing no one seems to include everything that I want. Kmail has almost everything except, it doesn't support outgoing HTML mail the 1% of the time when I do want to use it. Plus, I don't want to load all of those KDE libraries in Fluxbox; soprt of defeats the purpose. Evolution is missing the kmail features I discussed in the beginning. Plus, to really configure it, you have to dive into the XML files as discussed before in this thread. Worst of all, it is a resource hog. I just started experimenting with Mozilla mail. So far, unexpected surprises are the built in bayesian spam filter (on the plus side) but no spell checker (a big minus).

--

Art Alexion