Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.4 -- Killing X?

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:33:10AM -0400, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:

I have discovered that if I have more than one dictionary enabled,
things take a REALLY long time (like tabbing off of the To: text field
takes 2+ seconds), and if I only have one dictionary enabled, things
seem snappier.  I've also noticed that since I've only enabled one
dictionary (I previously had American, British, and Canadian enabled),
my 5+ minutes of shutdown hell have become more like 1+ minutes.

I have never enabled any dictionaries, so whatever comes by default is what
I'm using.

Also, I've ran strace after strace on evolution shutting down, and have
captured what it's doing when I see X become completely unresponsive.
It doesn't look like evolution is directly doing anything.  The only
weird thing that I see whatsoever is this:

I haven't straced the problem, as yet, I guess I will do that tonight.

before I shut evolution down, top shows XFree86 as using around 2k of
SHR memory.  When X goes into throes and doesn't come out again for
minutes at a time, I see that it now is using around 40Megs of SHR
memory.  I don't know what this means, but it doesn't seem good.  =:/

Anyone?

The problem I have seen manifests itself in one of two ways. Either the
X process will run away on me (CPU pegs with the prime offender being
XFree86 at something like 99.7%. I can't get the display to come up at
the console and generally have to ssh in and kill X), or when working at
the console, I will do something and it will cause X to kick me out and

Have you tried waiting for it?  Like I noted above, I've seen this and
have had to wait 5+ minutes some times for X to come back.  I'm also
running a P4-1.8 G machine with 1G of RAM (I don't know how that
compares with your machine, but if it's not as robust, the 5+ minutes
may be more like 10+).

Usually, when the hard lockup happens, it's overnight, and since its not
writing to any logs that I have yet found, but I would suspect that its
happening several hours before I find it. The machine is a 1.0GHz Athlon-C
machine with 768MB RAM.

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |